Yet Very Different!
Recently, Google announced Google Business Pages, which are very similar to Google profiles but have some important differences. If you don’t know how to set up your Google+ Page, check out this tutorial.
Here’s some information from Google that explains more.
Differences between Google+ Pages and Google+ Profiles
Pages are extremely similar to profiles, but they have some key differences:
1. Pages can’t add people to circles until the page is added first or mentioned. Learn more.
2. Pages can be made for a variety of different entities whereas profiles can only be made for people.
3. The default privacy setting for elements on your page profile is public.
4. Pages have the +1 button.
5. Pages can’t +1 other pages, nor can they +1 stuff on the Web.
6. Pages can’t play games.
7. Pages don’t have the option to share to ‘Extended circles’.
8. Pages don’t receive notifications via email, text, or in the Google bar.
9. Pages can’t hangout on a mobile device.
10. Local pages have special fields that help people find the business’ physical location. Learn more about local pages.
Most of these points make a ton of sense (and are similar as usual to Facebook).
However, I am required to ask if they couldn’t have learned from Facebook that page/business owners DO want notifications of mentions, engagements, etc! I have to wonder at this particular absence.
All in all, the relationship, interaction and behavior of Google Pages is very much in line with majority of the things you already know from working with Facebook Pages… which keeps life nice and simple!
How do you feel about what Google Pages bring to the table?
Taking The Headaches Out of Internet Marketing
PS: For those comparing it to FB Pages, it’s worth noting that while FB has very strict rules about contests and requires a pre-approved app for that… that Google Pages can NOT run contests/giveaways at all at this time. I expect to see this integrated in one or both of the tools Google owns but at this time you can not do that from these pages.