While “big” bloggers teach you how to get more Twitter followers I will try to share a tip or two on how not to lose Twitter followers you already got.
For the last month or so, I have been using Twitter a lot. What ever I do on the computer, I always have TweetDeck running. That means that I am on Twitter more than 12 hours a day.
TweetDeck is a really cool tool that helps you manage your social media accounts. At TweetDeck.com they say “TweetDeck is your personal real-time browser, connecting you with your contacts across Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Google Buzz and more.”
I don’t tweet all day long but I do pay attention to what people do and say. And here is where I cut to the chase…
How not to lose Twitter followers
This is what I have noticed and learned after a month on Twitter. This is the sure way for me not to follow you back. This is a sure way for me to unfollow you.
Try not to do the following or be one of these people:
1. The most important thing is to have a photo on your Twitter profile.
Try to make it a photo of you. Or your pet. Or at least your website logo. If you are a hot chick in a bikini and your user name is “marketing company blah blah” – I will not follow you.
2. The second most important – if you don’t have a bio, I probably won’t follow.
Unless you are Lady Gaga, I probably don’t know anything about you. So, let me see who you are. Let me see why would I follow you. Do we have anything in common? Just make me interested.
This is one of my favorite Twitter bios. If that doesn’t make you follow her, what will :)
3. I don’t like illiterate people. Educate yourself.
OK, so my English is not great but it isn’t my native language anyway. At least I know that a name starts with a capital letter.
Who can take you seriously when you write your own name like this (a real bio! I put question marks to delete the actual name): “Hi, I am ch???? sh????????? from new delhi. Now i am working in tan????? company as a SEO”.
Wow, I hope you have a personal assistant to answer your mail. Bottom line, he is either illiterate or doesn’t care (which is worse).
4. While at bios…Your bio says “I help people get more Twitter followers” and you have 500 followers. Not much for “an expert”.
Here is a tip for you. Help yourself! I am sure not going to follow you. Not to mention that I want followers the natural way.
5. Talking about natural…You are new to Twitter and you are using a bunch of automated tools. You think we can’t see that? I am not following. If I see your automated message in my inbox I will unfollow.
6. If you are using Twiends or similar tools, JUST to make you look important, I will not follow.
If your follow count says Following 80 and Followers 1500 I will make sure I check your tweets or blog. If you are that good – hat down, I will follow and learn from you.
There are many examples of people that have large number of followers and follow a handful of people while actually earning every follower they have. Here is my all time favorite with those numbers. If you can learn from someone, it is her. Thanks, Lisa :)
7. Talk about numbers. My next pet peeve. Just take a look of the image below. That does not look normal to me!
You have 2 tweets and more than 60.000 followers. I am not following you, it is obvious you are not saying anything. I am just wondering, why are those 60.000+ people following you?
8. One big one. All I see when I come to your wall are links – I won’t be following you for sure.
9. You are tweeting in a language I don’t understand, I won’t follow you.
I am not limiting myself to English because I speak several languages but I am not interested in tweets in Chinese. Sorry.
10. And the last one for today…I don’t want too many people hating me after this ;)
If you end almost ALL of your tweets with “(plz RT/Digg/share)”, you annoy me. If you think those few words you put in every tweet are gonna make me RT, think twice.
This ends my list…for now. I really got to like Twitter in the last month but the more I like some people, the more I see the mistakes of others. I make some too and I can’t say I have a lot of followers but at least they can be sure I will reply to them and not blast them with sale pitches.
Are you thinking of following me?! Oh, thank you – this is me @BrankicaU. If you did not find yourself on the Top 10 list up there, I might even follow you back ;)
Your turn now! Add some more pet peeves to the list. Tell me the best way to lose Twitter followers.