Guest Post by Rebekah Radice.
Ready to take on social media in 2014? Don’t do it without a solid strategy.
Once you have sorted out whether you are running a business or a hobby, and settled on your business model, then it becomes time to develop your social media business plan.
A social media business plan is a living document, one designed to drive your company forward, but also adjust as your online presence expands throughout the year.
While most entrepreneurs, marketers and business owners agree that a business plan is vital to the success of their business, most struggle to integrate social media in a strategic and effective way.
So what does it take to create a successful social media business plan?
First, you must take time to reflect on your business. You are creating a social media road map, an organizational tool that will keep you focused and on track throughout 2014.
Put the time in on the front-end to ensure success.
Creating Your Social Media Blueprint
A few key steps when creating a successful social media business plan:
- Grab a pen and paper, your favorite mobile device or your laptop and go somewhere quiet. This first piece is incredibly important and requires that you spend quiet time reflecting on your business.
- Begin to write down your goals and objectives. Determine what you want to achieve. This is your opportunity to think big for the year.
- What are your BHAG’s or those big hairy audacious goals, ones that if achieved would completely blow your mind? Add each one to your list.
- Now write down what makes you special. What are the unique qualities that create differentiation and make you shine above your competitors?
- Do your research! Analyze your market or niche. What are your competitors doing and how can you capitalize on the opportunity they are leaving on the table?
- Prepare a list of content you have already created. How can you rework or re-purpose that content for social media? You will build that into a content calendar.
- Determine how your online activities will support your offline marketing strategy. Social media is just another pillar within your overall marketing strategy. Understand how you will combine the two to maximize exposure and reach.
- Know how you will handle leads generated via social media. If you haven’t already defined your marketing funnel and the process used to track, manage and communicate with your leads, now is the time.
- Get involved! Make sure your plan contains time that you will interact and engage with fans and followers on a daily basis.
Creating a sustainable social media business plan takes time and commitment. It also requires strategic execution.
In order to successfully integrate social media into your 2014 marketing efforts and gain the competitive edge within your industry it is vital that you not only design your plan, but also follow through consistently.
Get started today by envisioning the potential impact social media and an online strategy can have on your business. Then take deliberate steps to inch your business forward one day to the next.
Have you developed a social media blueprint for 2014 yet?
Embrace the opportunity in front of you and create a bigger, brighter and far more lucrative future!