We’ve talked a lot about the HUGE power of using Facebook Lists to make Facebook easier…
But the new “Smart Lists” are a little different and deserve their own special coverage as they bring yet another set of tools to help you survive your news feed each day!
When used together, lists, smartlists, game/app filtering and FBPurity can return your news feed to something you actually appreciate reading!
SmartLists behave very different than “normal” lists so pay attention here as each one of them is unique.
The “Acquantances” list is used to allow you to easily “throttle” how much content you receive from people you are not particularly emotionally close too.
You first add people (Facebook makes useful suggestions) to the list and then you set WHAT you’d like to see from those people in your primary news feed. This removes a lot of valid but uninteresting to you posts from your feed and does so easily and silently.
Pretty straight forward, here’s how to get started.
Steps To Using the Facebook Acquaintances Smart List:
1. Click on the word Facebook in the upper left hand corner to return to the main page and newsfeed.
2. In the left hand column, scroll down to where you see Friends. If you do not see friends, go to the very bottom of the content in the left sidebar and click “more” to make it open up fully.
3. Click on “Friends” (which opens the area for Friend Lists) and then click on the smart list (they all have colored icons) that says “Acquaintances”. That will take you to the page we see above in the screenshot.
4. From here, you can use the “Manage” drop down to deselect the content types you want to suppress from your main news feed. For me, I uncheck all except “Status Updates” and “Photos”. Because I can still manually alter the settings for each individual, I leave it a little wide, and then I use the individual settings if I need to hide photos as well.
5. At the bottom of the right hand sidebar you will see a “See All Suggestions” link…. click that to open the suggestions tool (and then see the next screenshot below).
Here in the Acquaintances Suggestions tool we see the power of Facebook EdgeRank being used to calculate the individuals that we rarely interact with. I found the suggestions very accurate though I unchecked several who I was likely to re-engage with soon.
Scroll near the bottom and click the link that says “Include # More Suggestions” to make this page open fully. Now scroll through the images/names and check/uncheck as appropriate. Then click the Add To Acquaintances button.
People will be (silently) added to the acquaintances list and your news feed will now be more relavant to you!
This is simply a “bulk” way of setting a lot of these content restrictions at once that we can set by hand but is relatively time consuming. I think this is a nice move by Facebook…. particularly for those of us with old classmates/colleagues that we are not “near and dear” with!
Go set yours up and then post a reply and let me know if you have any questions and how it worked for you!
~ Kim ~
Simple Tech Tips For Marketing
PS: This is not a replacement for FBPurity as this does something that only Facebook can do. This works well WITH FbPurity to further clean up my feed.