Free Keyword Tools versus Paid Tools
There’s a lot of hype about keyword tools. Some swear that a specific paid tool is the best while others tell you that when you use a free tool wisely, it’s just as good as any paid tool.
So which is really better?
Maybe these pros and cons will help you decide for yourself.
Free Keyword Tool Pros
– They’re free. There’s little risk
– Generally easy for beginners to use.
– Offers basic and intermediate information
– Offers basic and intermediate features and functions. For example, the ability to download research into spreadsheets.
Free Keyword Tool Cons
– Generally limited to data from one search engine
– Doesn’t offer advanced information
– Doesn’t offer advanced features that facilitate search and organization.
Paid Keyword Tool Pros
– Offers data from all major search engines
– Offers more information and data points to consider
– Generally offers a free trial – this is great. You can make sure the tool is easy to use and often complete your keyword research before your free trial is over. Thus, you don’t pay a thing.
– Offers handy research organization features and functions so you can track the best keywords and ideas quickly and easily.
Paid Keyword Tool Cons
– Often not intuitive to use. Designed for advanced marketers and can feel overwhelming or complicated.
– Too much information/data for beginners to process.
Often the best solution is to use a combination of the two. Start your keyword research on a free tool. Use it to familiarize yourself with the keyword research process and to narrow your niche choices to a top five or a top ten.
Then sign up for a free trial of one of the top paid tools. Use it to delve deeper into your niche possibilities. You may decide to continue with your membership as it can provide content ideas to optimize your site. Or you may decide to cancel your membership and rely on free tools for any additional information you need.
I personally rely on Market Samurai for majority of my research and use the free Google Keyword Tool when I am not at home and need some fast data.
Keyword research can be a bit confusing and overwhelming for beginners. Heck, it can even be overwhelming for those who are experienced with it! Take your time and learn it right and it is a skill that will serve you through your entire online marketing career.
~ Kim ~
Simple Social Tech Tips For Marketing