Make That Menu
Open A New Window or Tab
With the flexibility to add any link to the WordPress menus built into most themes now, we often find ourselves adding items that are not necessarily part of the site.
When that happens, we usually want them to open in a new tab or window but it’s not immediately clear in WordPress how to make that happen.
Fortunately, making a menu item open in a new tab or windows is really simple (if you know where to look!).
Steps To Make A Menu Link Open In A New Window Or Tab
(This does assume your theme is using the new “WordPress 3.0+” menu system.)
1) Go to Appearance -> Menus in your sidebar.
2) At the very top of the screen locate the “Screen Options” tab and open it (it drops down)
3) Put a check next to “Link Target” in the Screen Options tab. This tab has no save button so the effects are immediate.
4) Add or open up the menu item you wish to make open in a new tab. Now you will see a new check box that says “Open Link in New Window/Tab” (check it)
5) Click “Save Menu” to save your changes and you’re done!
~ Kim ~
Simple Tech Tips For Marketing