I am constantly reminding you how important it is to build a list. However, before jumping in, there are a few things you should know, just so you don’t neglect the rules and laws that govern the email marketing industry.
Most of my readers here are in the United States, and if you are one of those, you need to get familiar with the Can-Spam Act. Even if you are in a country that isn’t governed by this law, it’s a good idea to follow it anyway.
If you get caught abusing email and if you are not in compliance of the Can-Spam Act, you could be subject to penalties up to $16,000.
So here is a summary of the requirements under this act you need to know:
1. Don’t use false or misleading header information – The From, To and Reply To information must be accurate and not misleading in any way.
2. Do not use deceptive subjects – It is not acceptable to try to trick readers into opening emails by using deceptive email subjects.
3. Identify the message as an ad – You must notify your subscribers that they are reading an ad.
4. Include valid physical location – You must identify your location within every email you send out.
5. Tell subscribers how to opt-out of emails – In every email there must be clear directions on how to unsubscribe from your email list.
6. You must honor opt-out requests promptly – You must honor opt-out requests within 10 business days.
7. Monitor the people you hire – If you hire someone to help you you can not expect the responsibility of complying with the laws to just transfers to them. You must be aware of what is being done on your behalf since you will be responsible for it.
The great thing about Aweber (sign up to try it for $1) is that it helps you do many of these things automatically. For example your physical location is added automatically to the bottom of each email. Directions on how to opt-out of your Aweber emails is automatically added to the bottom of each email. Also, Aweber unsubscribes people immediately upon request, so no worries about getting yourself in trouble with the 10-day removal time frame.
In most cases you won’t have much to worry about, especially if you use Aweber. Just make sure you know, understand and follow the laws.
Running your email list in a way that gives your subscribers freedom and respect will result in a high quality list. This is a list that will appreciate the value you send them and will respond by being loyal and actually read your emails. That is a win-win in my book!
Have you started working on your list yet?