Protect Your FB Account
And Your Reputation!
While not a cure-all, this little check-box will drastically reduce the vulnerability of your account to phishing (hacking) schemes and help keep your brand safer!
Enabling HTTPS ensures that you have a secure connection between you and Facebook when you log in – which makes it much harder for infected stuff to steal your login credentials on the fly.
This is not yet a default setting – but we figure it will become one in the very near future based on Facebook’s other actions. For now, you can very easily enable it for yourself.
How To Enable HTTPS For Facebook
1. From your profile, in the upper right hand corner, select the drop-down arrow.
2. In the drop-down menu, select “Account Settings”.
3. In the Account Settings window, on the left hand navigation, select the “Security” option.
4. In the Security Settings window, to the right of “Secure Browsing” select the “EDIT” button.
5. Now, in the secure browsing area, put a CHECK MARK next to “Browse Facebook on a secure connection when possible”.
6. Click Save Changes, and you’re done!
Many people ask me why this wasn’t enabled by default. Well… Mark was just a kid, setting up a small site on a college campus and most people didn’t question him. (Even though he called those who failed to question him “Dumb F*cks” for being so out of touch with the dangers as they gave him all their personal data.) As the platform grew, applications began being developed that were not secure and it became harder and harder to change over. Facebook is currently moving towards HTTPS, including making all app developers transition over and it is likely this will become the new default in a year or so.
In the meantime however, don’t pass up on this chance to improve your security on Facebook.
Go click this setting and hit save, you’ll feel better knowing you did! (And then share this post with others that may yet not know they can do this, please!)
Here’s to your online success!
PS: Drop your name and email in the box below to get tips and tricks for surviving social media!