Get A New YT Channel
Without More Google Logins
What to do when you need a YouTube channel for your new brand or marketing endeavor but don’t really want to muck around with multiple Google logins!
Recently, I had a question about this from Danielle Schaeffer:
“Special Shoutout to Kim who awesomely coached me along with some social media stuff last night!
I wanted to set up all my social stuff first, Facebook, Google +, Twitter, YouTube. (And at Kim’s gentle prompting, yes, even Linked-In which I really dislike.)
But I wasn’t sure if I should have pages, communities, groups, etc, so I asked Kim to advise me, and now I’m just about all set up.
I also didn’t want to have to create a separate Google Account just to have a YT channel that was ‘all real estate,’ and Kim showed me how to connect a Google + page to a brand new ‘channel,’ without needing a whole new Google account and gmail address.
When in doubt, I seek Kim out. Thanks Kim, for your help!”
Thanks for the great question, Danielle!
To set up a separate YouTube channel for your new brand, without needing a new Gmail address… here’s the steps:
1. If you have not already done so, create your new Google+ Brand Page.
Visit: https://plus.google.com/u/0/dashboard and click “Create Page” and walk through the couple steps to make your page.
2. Then, create your new “attached” YouTube account.
Go to this specific page: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1646861?hl=en
- Make sure you’re signed in to YouTube.
- Go to All my channels.
- If you want to make a YouTube channel for a Google+ page that you manage, you can choose it here. Otherwise, click Create a new channel.
- Fill out the details to create your new channel.
3. This, when you click on “All my channels” will pass you off to the “Channel Switcher” page. You technically also have one of these in your drop-down menu on the far right but YT assumes you do not yet realize that.
From here, click on the name of your Google+ Page that you want to create a YT channel for.
4. Once you click on your Page name, you will get a popup. CAREFULLY select the option to create a YouTube Channel for your Page rather than renaming your existing channel.
5. Then click OK to confirm the channel creation:
6. Then click OK to confirm your understanding of the linking:
It’s important to understand:
- Your page and channel will display the same name and logo/photo
- Your public YouTube videos will appear on both
- Managers of the Google+ page will be able to manage your channel
7. Now, you can easily switch between which account you are “Using YouTube As…” by clicking on the drop down in your upper right corner and selecting “Switch Account”.
* Pay attention that you are signed into the one you WANT to be signed into when you are liking videos, subscribing, commenting, favoring videos, uploading, and building playlists.
You now have ONE login ID connected to your profile-connected YouTube account and page-connected YouTube accounts. You can also safely grant admin access to any of the page accounts, via manager settings on the pages, without compromising your primary login (a huge security improvement).
That’s all there is to it!
Want to learn more about using YouTube to build your social brand? Check out our course, the YouTube Profit Vault.
~ Kim ~
Simple Tech Tips For Marketing